I was born in Athens, Greece and I have resided in the U.S. since 1984. I received B.S. (1989) and M.S. (1991) degrees in Geophysics from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and a Ph.D. (1999) in Geological Sciences from The University of Texas at Austin. My professional experience includes exploration geophysics with Mobil Oil (1991 to 1995, offshore Gulf of Mexico), Jones Energy Ltd. (1996 to 1998, Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma) and the U.S. Department of the Interior (1999 to 2003, offshore Gulf of Mexico). In 2003 I joined The University of Kansas, Department of Geology, where I am currently a Professor.
Ph.D., Geological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin
M.S., Geophysics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
B.S., Geophysics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
My research interests are in applied geophysics, including near-surface geophysics, exploration geophysics and induced seismicity. My research has focused on ground-penetrating radar (GPR) imaging of fractures and monitoring flow and transport in fractured rocks, monitoring microbial processes in contaminated aquifers, geophysical imaging of polar ice sheets, application of geophysical methods to archaeology, GPR imaging of carbonate aquifers and reservoir analogues, and most recently seismic characterization of Mississippian and Arbuckle reservoirs in Kansas, seismic monitoring of CO2 storage, and monitoring of induced seismicity in the US midcontinent.
- Applied geophysics
- Exploration geophysics
- Induced seismicity
- GPR and seismic methods
- GPR characterization of fractures and monitoring of fluid-flow, mass transport and heat exchange in fractured aquifers and geothermal systems
- High-resolution GPR and seismic imaging of carbonate reservoir analogues for assessment of heterogeneous fluid-flow properties
- Seismic monitoring of CO2 injection in mid-continent Mississippian and Arbuckle reservoirs
- Development of automated three-dimensional shallow seismic methods for high-resolution imaging of soils, fracture zones and voids
- GPR and seismic imaging of active tectonic settings
- Biogeophysical (GPR) monitoring of subsurface microbial activity
- Seismic and radar imaging of polar ice sheets for understanding the behavior of rapidly changing ice streams: Center for Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets CReSIS
- Climate change, humans and nature in the global environment
- Development of seismic and GPR methods for transportation infrastructure projects.
Schneider, B. Tsoflias, G. Steeples, D. Mandel, R. & Hofman, J. (2018). Bone Permittivity and its Effect on Using Ground Penetrating Radar. Geophysics, 83(1), H1-H11. DOI:10.1190/GEO2017-0128.1
Hawkins, A. Becker, M. & Tsoflias, G. (2017). Evaluation of Inert Tracers in a Bedrock Fracture Using Ground Penetrating Radar and Thermal Sensors. Geothermics, 67, 86-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geothermics.2017.01.006
Nolte, K. Tsoflias, G. Bidgoli, T. & Watney, L. (2017). Shear-Wave Anisotropy Reveals Pore Fluid Pressure Induced Seismicity in the US Midcontinent. Science Advances, 3(12). DOI:10.1126/sciadv.1700443 http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/12/e1700443
Miller, B. Sloan, S. Tsoflias, G. & Steeples, D. (2017). The 3D Autojuggie: Automating Acquisition of 3D Near-Surface Seismic Reflection Data. Near Surface Geophysics, 15, 3-11. DOI:10.3997/1873-0604.2016035
Schneider, B. Mandel, R. Tsoflias, G. De Vore, S. & Lynott, M. (2016). Combining ER and GPR Surveys for Evidence of Prehistoric Landscape Construction: A Case Study at Mound City, Ohio, USA. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 178-186. DOI:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2016.04.002
Velez, J. Tsoflias, G. P., Black, R. Van der Veen, C. & Anandakrishnan, S. (2016). Distribution of Preferred Ice Crystal Orientation Determined from Seismic Anisotropy: Evidence from Jakobshavn Isbræ and the North Greenland Eamian Ice Drilling Facility, Greenland. Geophysics, 81(1), WA111-WA118. DOI:10.1190/geo2015-0154.1
Ivanov, J. Tsoflias, G. P., Miller, R. Peterie, S. Morton, S. & Xia, J. (2016). Impact of Density Information on Surface Wave Inversion Results. Journal of Applied Geophysics , 135, 43-54. DOI:10.1016/ j.jappgeo.2016.09.011
Tsoflias, G. Perll, C. Baker, M. & Becker, M. (2015). Cross Polarized GPR Imaging of Fracture Flow Channeling. Journal of Earth Science, 26(6), 776-784. DOI:10.1007/s12583-015-0612-1
Zhu, H. Wang, D. & Tsoflias, G. P. (2015). Seismic Interferometry in Parabolic Radon Domain. Journal of Seismic Exploration, 24(1), 37-50.